Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Getting to know me!

When thinking of my favorite quote pertaining to children there are so many! I have narrowed it to two quotes. One quote comes from the Word of God and it is what I base my mission and vision statement from. It comes from Proverbs 22:6 and it states "Train up a child in the way that they go and when they are old they shall not depart from it". This statement is so important to me because it shows how important it is to train a child. We know that a child is learning even while in the womb but the most important years of a child's growth is with the first five years. How they process information and how they make choices will be formed during this time. So it is so important to beginning the training process at birth. My second favorite childrens' quote is " It takes a village to raise a kid". This goes hand in hand with my first quote because in the training process it is important to create a positive learning environment for a child. Your child learns from everyone and thing that they are around. This can be a good and bad thing. What you put into a child is what comes out. If it is negative they will be negative also. That is why we have to choose the right things to put into this environment to be able to produce a well rounded child.

My favorite children's book is: "The Little Engine That Could"
                                               By: Watty Piper, George Hauman, Doris Hauman-Platt & Munk (1990)

I choose this book because it shows children that through persistence and dedication you will accomplish what ever goal that is set. Also that encouragement is healthy when trying to accomplish goals. This is so important for children to realize that persistence  and dedication is always rewarded with  accomplishments! 


 

7 comments:

  1. McKenzie,
    You seem to be so motivated in your goals for early childhood. I really related to your comment about it taking a village to raise a child. The longer I have taught, I have realized that by acting alone will not have near the impact as their teacher. I need to involve the parents, school resources such as our guidance department and psychologists, administration and my colleagues as an all around support system to better serve my students. As they say, two heads (or many!) are better than one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi McKenzie,
    The Little Engine That Could is such an awesome choice in children's literature. As you noted, it is a book for children and adults alike. Both can learn so much from its message. Thanks for the reminder that "persistence and dedication is always rewarded by accomplishments".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that it takes a village to raise a child. Today we have gotten out of that mind set. People do not want you to say anything to their child. When I was growing up if the neighbor saw you acting up they would spank you and call your parents. When my parents got home I would get another spanking. I turned out a great person and I thank everyone that made sure I was staying on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your quote indeed whatever is instilled in a child in his early years shall never depart from him. the second quote is so real here in Africa everyone is involved in your child's upbringing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Little Engine That Could. That was the very first book I learned to read on my own. I also love your quote and love being part of the village raising my nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your favorite quote from Proverbs 22:6. I also feel that if you instill strong morals into a child that they are more likely to stick to their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey McKenzie,

    I love the fact that you use proverbs 22:6 as your favorite quote. I feel that as a generation we have ignored biblical backgrounds when it comes to raising our childen. I also beleive that if we go back to our roots of raising our children, then when they do stray away then they will know that things will be okay.

    ReplyDelete