Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Personal Reserach Journey

My chosen topic for the simulation is "Poverty and How it Affects Children in Early Childhood Development". I chose this topic because it interest me of how poverty affects children in early developmental stages. These effects, if not redirected, can cause a trailing affect through a child's adulthood. I want to research this topic further to better equip myself to advocate in my community and even nation. Some of the dimple things as light ans water are not available for some children. They come to school and act out and in result are miss understood. It takes a passionate teacher or professional to reach out to this child. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and these children end up isolated in the classroom from others. This cause the child to loose out on important developmental stages that are needed to function. I have seen this issue many times and it has to stop. This is why I strongly support home visits because it gives the teacher a chance to meet the child in a more personal environment which shows the child and family that they are important and appreciated. I look forward for researching the poverty issue and its effects on our children. In this process I would love to get any feedback or experiences that my colleagues have gone through and would like to share.

5 comments:

  1. Hi McKenzie!
    I will support you in your decision to conduct research on "Poverty and how it affects children in the early childhood field." I am actively locating resources related to this topic and will be sharing them with you. Good luck in your research journey. This is an excellent topic because the issue of poverty affects millions people all over the world. It takes special, dedicated professionals like you to help other professionals gain new understandings on this subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. McKenzie,
    I think you have chosen a topic this prove useful to you in your teaching endeavors. As we have learned in our courses so far, poverty can have lasting effects on a child. The school district I teach in has 41% of the children considered at the poverty level. If there is ever anything i can help you with, please feel free to ask! Best of luck!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi McKenzie,
    What a great topic to research, especially in light of the rising levels of poverty. I am anxious to read your postings as you begin to find out how much poverty needs to be addressed as a concern for early childhood education. Best of Luck!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. McKenzie
    I want to believe that home visit is an integral part of early childhood education as it creates a more bonding relationship between teachers and children, and also between parents and teachers. This goes a long way to foster strong connection between the three and makes the child feel loved and cared for, and be more receptive to learning. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi McKenzie,

    In my current position, I've worked with children of poverty for years. This means working with families of poverty, as well. A really helpful book was written by Ruby Payne, A Framework for Understanding Poverty. The part in her book that is rather interesting and has rang true in my experience is called the Hidden Rules. It is a chart that compares certain areas in poverty families, middle class families and wealthy families. I would recommend googling information on that. Also, children of poverty have many needs and struggles in the school system. Try googling Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs. I think you'll find that supportive of your research. I hope this was helpful! Good luck with your research!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete