Saturday, April 27, 2013

Time Well Spent!


In this the time that I have spent in this class I have truly been exposed to a lot. One of the things I have learned in this class was the structure of a community of practice. In learning about the community of practice I also learned how to be a good leaders. The week that we learned about the leadership I was amazed to learn that  a leader may have to change their characteristic based on the group or project they may be working with. Two of my favorite styles of leadership was: democratic leadership and servant leadership. These two styles would work well with my community of practice.

Some of my deeply felt leanings from this program are many in number. One of the leanings  that I really appreciate was understanding that our lives are filled with different relationships. When working with children we have to learn to appreciate the relationships that are around them. In appreciating these relationships it is important to also build relationships with the parents of these children. This is important because this allows you to show the child that they are important and also allows you to build trust. Another important learning was the importance of adjusting to the diverse community we live in. This is so important as early childhood professionals because our classrooms reflect different cultures which causes us to have a different approach in the classroom. Lastly, when I started my classes in advocacy I enjoyed learning who are advocates and there roles in the community. I learned that we are all advocates in different ways. Some may be advocates in their homes as parents and also on our jobs as colleagues or managers.

My main goal upon leaving here is to incorporate what I have learned and apply when my community.
I appreciate all the information that I have been exposed to and I enjoyed the experiences I gained from my colleagues.


    

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mackenzie

    Its been a while since you and I have taking classes together, but I still wanted to tell you good luck. I also like your goal, its good that you are going to implement what you have learned into your community.

    Best Wishes
    Tamieka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mackenzie!
    I wish you the best as you continue being a leader, role model and child advocate in the early childhood field!

    ReplyDelete