Saturday, February 16, 2013

Using Social Media to Get Connected



Provide a brief overview of your past and present experience with social media.


I don't have a lot of experience with social media. I have experienced more information of blogging since being at Walden. I see how a blog allows you to share information in an informal way that reaches a global audience. I also use facebook to stay connected to the world around me. I see how people use facebook as a networking tool that allows one to express themselves and get a response from may different people. This is a good way to have a forum. On facebook you can advertise and hold a forum on this site and anyone that is on facebook can be apart. Another tool that I have recently learned to use if YouTube. I notice that people  use this place as a free networking tool that also reaches many.

Describe what social media tools you feel lend themselves to effective advocacy.

I feel that out of those media tools listed about I would probably use blogging as a way to reach people pertaing to the issue of childhood obesity. I feel that blogging allows you to film yourself and to give people access to the information that you have shared.

Identify how you might use these social media tools to educate and inspire others in your advocacy work.

I would hold forum and also marketing comericals that can direct watches to other researches that have been done by me and others that have research the issue of childhood obesity.

Ask your colleagues for their suggestions and/or their help with using social media as a tool to promote advocacy efforts.

What are some social media that you have used that could benefit my advocacy position?

2 comments:

  1. Hi McKenzie,

    I have utilized Instant Gram as a social media tool to stay connected to family, friends, and my favorite celebrities. Although Instant Gram is not an ideal social media tool to promote an advocacy objective, I think it can be extremely effective and beneficial. Similar to Facebook, Instant Gram allows its users to create an interest group in which Instant Gram members can join or “follow” the group’s post and comments. Instant Gram can be utilized to promote an advocacy objective through “posts” of advocacy messages relevant to one’s chosen advocacy objective in addition to comments encouraging the support of interested individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi McKenzie,
    I was a bit reluctant to use social media, then when I started to use facebook I was even more discouraged.I thought why is everyone posting their private life for anyone to see.When I did my BA we had an assignment to join an international orginization for children and I was able to go back and forth with them on facebook. I also joined LINEDIN and learn many interesting things on children's issues from all over.It is important to have exposure, but to be wise and diligent.

    posted by Elizabeth Estrada

    ReplyDelete